“Speak less, speak softly, speak compassionately and speak the truth. “ – The Vedas
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra across the “susushmna” or the energy channel, which runs along the spinal cord. It is the first of the higher or spiritual chakras on the “chakra ladder”. The throat chakra is the voice of the body and the keeper of our authenticity. Speaking and living up to our truth is the premise of this chakra. This chakra is also our communication center. Sound, rhythm, vibration, self-expression and creativity are the cornerstone of this chakra. Communication helps in making connections and to extend ourselves beyond ordinary limitations thereby expanding our world. It also shapes our reality and creates the future because it is the medium via which abstract ideas get manifested.
Throat chakra – Highlights
- Sanskrit Name: Vishuddha
- Meaning: Purification
- Location: Base of the neck and opens towards the throat
- Color: Blue
- Element: Ether or space
- Sense: Hearing
- Seed sound: Ham
- Physical organs/ association: Neck, shoulder, ears, mouth, teeth, tongue, larynx, jaw, thyroid, parathyroid
- Emotional/ Psychological association: Communication, creativity
- Mineral: Aquamarine, blue topaz, celestite, lapis lazuli, sapphire, and turquoise.
- Herbs for incense: Benzoin, frankincense, and mace
Signs of an unbalanced fifth chakra:
- Emotional or mental issues: an inability to communicate verbally, emotionally or physically, frustration, dishonesty, criticism of self and others, low self-esteem, feeling isolated, fear, doubt, excessive talking, shyness, being judgmental, nervousness, anxiety, and holding on to unexpressed anger.
- Physical issues: sore throat, laryngitis, tonsillitis, cold, upper respiratory illnesses, dental problems, teeth grinding and TMJ (temporo-mandibular joint) problems, skin irritations, ear infections, inflammations, hyperthyroidism, stiff neck, shoulder pain, stuttering, attention disorders, addiction to smoking.
A balanced fifth chakra brings:
- An ability to communicate verbally, in writing, or creatively
- Confidence in our ideas, beliefs and emotions and an ability to express them freely
- Honesty, self awareness and an ability to lead an authentic life
- The capacity to listen and truly hear by giving undivided attention
- Successful communication helps to improve relationships
Beneficial activities that promote and maintain a balanced Throat Chakra:
- Meditation and visualization: Visualize a blue light in the center of your throat while meditating
- Chant the seed sound “Ham”
- Nature: Go for a walk and experience a sunny, blue sky. Alternatively, meditate outside right under a blue sky.
- Vow of silence: Choose to remain silent for an hour or a few hours every week. Silence is the language of Gods. It helps to tune into subtle sounds.
- Any form of creative expression such as singing, chanting, reciting poetry, reading aloud, keeping a journal, drumming, playing an instrument and painting.
- Exercise: Neck and shoulder rolls, head lifts, shoulder stand, yoga poses such as the fish pose, camel pose, or plow pose.
- Speak less, speak softly, speak compassionately and speak the truth
- Salt water gargles
- Neck and shoulder massage
- Food: Water, fruits (especially blueberries) and herbal teas.
- Essential oils: Rose, frankincense, sandalwood, jasmine, neroli, ylang ylang.
- Wearing blue: Blue colored clothing and blue colored jewelry such as Aquamarine, blue topaz, celestite, lapis lazuli, sapphire, and turquoise.
- Affirmations: Speak out with complete confidence the following affirmations:
- I am open, clear, and honest in my communication.
- I have a right to speak my truth.
- I communicate my feelings with ease.
- I express myself creatively through speech, writing, or art.
- Everything I do is an expression of love.