Third Eye Chakra
“Close both eyes and see with the other eye.” – Rumi
The sixth chakra, the Third Eye Chakra or the Brow Chakra, is associated with sight and seeing, both intuitively and physically. Through your two eyes, you see the external, but with your third eye, or your inner eye, you see the internal and have an unlimited perception. That is why the keywords of this chakra are “insight,” “intellect,” and “intuition.” It is also related to the energies of clear vision, light, spirit, clairvoyance, and telepathy It is through this chakra that we may tune in to the higher self in order to seek and receive inner guidance.
Third eye chakra – highlights
- Sanskrit Name: Ajna
- Meaning: To perceive, to command
- Location: Center of he forehead, Between and above the eyes
- Color: Indigo
- Element: Light
- Sense: Intuition/ ESP
- Seed sound: Aum or Om
- Physical organs/ association: Eyes, head, sinuses, part of the brain, endocrine system especially the pineal glands
- Emotional/ Psychological association: Intuition, Insight, Calmness, Clairvoyance
- Mineral: Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Quartz, Sapphire
- Herbs for incense: Acacia, Mugwort, Saffron, Star Anise
Signs of an unbalanced sixth chakra:
- Emotional or mental issues: stress, nervousness, fuzzy thinking and memory, confusion, learning difficulties, aimlessness, possessiveness, lack of concentration, impaired judgment and reasoning, hallucinations, an inability to see the “big picture” and to keep an open mind.
- Physical issues: headache, sinusitis, migraine, brain tumors, stroke, blindness, blurred vision, glaucoma, cataracts, eyestrain, other vision problems, anxiety disorders, nightmares, insomnia, facial acne, facial rashes or boils.
A balanced sixth chakra brings:
- Mental clarity, concentration, intuition and imagination
- Strong sense of reasoning and being open to new ideas
- Superior decision making skills
- Ability to positively and realistically perceive, visualize, and set goals for the future.
- Heightened psychic and telepathic abilities
- Stability of moods
- Restful sleep
- Helps to learn from the past, plan for the future and stay present in the moment
Beneficial activities that promote and maintain a balanced Third Eye Chakra:
- Meditation and visualization: Visualize an indigo at the center of the forehead while meditating.
- Chant the seed sound “Aum”
- Energy healing: Try Reiki, Tai Chi or Qigong
- Nature: As this chakra’s element is light, sitting outside on a warm sunny day under the blue sky will help in balancing this chakra.
- Breathing exercises such as “Brahmari” or the bee breath
- Exercises: Eye exercises, and any yoga pose where the forehead is pressed down such as the child’s pose or the dolphin pose
- Solitude: Take time out for introspection, and for recharging yourself. Go on a silent walk. Solitude strengthens your third eye chakra.
- Food: Purple colored food and fruits like grapes, blueberries and eggplant, purple kale, purple cabbage, lavender flavored food (spices, tea etc.), Cacao (especially dark chocolate) and Omega 3 rich foods such as walnuts, flaxseed and chia seeds.
- Essential oils: Clarey, sage, lavender, lemon
- Wearing the color indigo or purple: Wear indigo colored clothing or indigo/ purple stones or crystals such as Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Quartz, Sapphire.
- Affirmations: Speak out with complete confidence the following affirmations:
- I am seeing and thinking clearly.
- I listen to my deepest wisdom and to the wisdom of the universe.
- I am united with the vibration of the infinite.
- I am wise, intuitive, and connected with my inner guide.
- I trust my intuition.
- I am open to inspiration and bliss.