Solar Plexus Chakra
“Every man is the architect of his own fortune.” – Sallust
The third chakra, or the Solar Plexus Chakra, is associated with identity and self-esteem. Known as the “power center”, this is the area of assertiveness, confidence and inner drive. The Solar Plexus Chakra controls digestion and the metabolic systems, processing energy and aiding us to overcome inertia. The Sanskrit word “Manipura” means filled with gems or shining brightly. And true to it’s name, it is indeed a fiery chakra, bringing us warmth, light, energy and power. It is the source of willpower as it provides a sense of determination, accept challenges with confidence, take risks, and make responsible decisions.
Solar Plexus chakra – highlights
- Sanskrit Name: Manipura
- Meaning: Lustrous gem
- Location: Above the navel but below the diaphragm
- Color: Yellow
- Element: Fire
- Sense: Sight
- Seed sound: Ram
- Physical organs/ association: Digestive system/ organs including stomach, liver, pancreas, gall bladder, and spleen, adrenals glands.
- Emotional/ Psychological association: Personality, will power, confidence, courage, discipline, self-esteem, vitality
- Mineral: Amber, topaz, yellow citrine, golden calcite
- Herbs for incense: sandalwood, saffron, musk, cinnamon, ginger
Signs of an unbalanced third chakra:
- Emotional or mental issues: rage, fear of rejection, indecisiveness, powerlessness, compulsiveness, apathy, resentment, greed, low self-esteem, hypersensitivity to criticism, or being overly critical of others, a tendency towards perfectionism; power plays; and an emphasis on professional and social status.
- Physical issues: digestive problems including nausea, indigestion, gas, acid reflux, addiction to specific food including sugar and/ or caffeine, food allergies, diabetes, weight problems, ulcers, liver problems, jaundice, hepatitis, gallstones, adrenal imbalances, arthritis
A balanced third chakra brings:
- A strong sense of identity and healthy self-respect
- Self confidence, positive energy, and a zest for life
- A willingness to persevere and take your ideas to fruition
- An ability to trust one’s instincts and make good choices
- Willingness to express yourself in a powerful and effective way
Beneficial activities that promote and maintain a balanced Solar Plexus Chakra:
- Meditation and visualization: Visualize a glowing yellow orb or a sunflower above the navel but below the diaphragm while meditating.
- Chant the seed sound “Ram”
- Nature: Since the element of this chakra is fire, stepping out for a walk, sun bathing, sitting in front of a campfire works well.
- Exercises: Any exercise that works on the core (such as stomach crunches) or any cardiovascular exercise works well for balancing this chakra. This includes pilates, aerobics, swimming, power walking, jogging, and hiking. Power Yoga or poses such as the warrior pose, bow pose, or the boat pose also work well.
- Taking new challenges: Step out of your comfort zone and do something different. Overcoming difficulties increases strength and confidence.
- Power: One of the best ways to increase power is to learn and do. Knowledge is power and learning and doing helps to increase power.
- Food: Yellow colored food (such as lemons, bananas, yellow peppers and pineapple), complex carbohydrates (e.g. whole grains and food made from it such as pasta, bread, oatmeal), starchy vegetables (such as potato, corn, pumpkin,), Seeds (such as flax, sunflower seeds ), Dairy (such as cheese and yogurt), and spices that include ginger, chamomile, and turmeric
- Essential oils: marjoram, neroli, rose, black pepper, ginger, peppermint
- Wearing the color yellow: Wearing the color yellow or stones such as citrine, jasper, topaz, amber or tiger’s eye.
- Affirmations: Speak out with complete confidence the following affirmations:
- I am confident in all that I do.
- I am bold, brave and powerful.
- I am strong, centered and determined.
- I am able to gracefully weather life’s unexpected storms.
- I am in control of my life and live with a sense of dignity.
- I use my personal power to help me expand and grow as a human being.