“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched – they must be felt with the heart.” – Hellen Keller
The fourth chakra, the Heart Chakra, is located at the center of the chest. It may be thought of as the unifying or balancing chakra as it is located between the three lower or physical and the three higher or spiritual chakras. The essence of the heart chakra is love, compassion and purity. This chakra represents kindheartedness, selfless love, happiness, gratitude and respect. The premise of this chakra is that the more love you give, the more you receive. Healing and the Heart Chakra go hand in hand as love is the ultimate healing energy.
Heart chakra – highlights
- Sanskrit Name: Anahata
- Meaning: Unstruck, pure Location: Center of the chestColor: green
- Element: Air
- Sense: Touch Seed sound: Lam
- Physical organs/ association: Respiratory system and circulatory system. Organs/ body parts include thymus, heart, lungs, diaphragm, chest, upper back, arms, hands, pericardium.
- Emotional/ Psychological association: Love, compassion, forgiveness, kindness, relationships, self-acceptance, hope, sympathy, and empathy
- Mineral: Emerald, Jade, Rose Quartz, Tourmaline, rhodonite
- Herbs for incense: Lavender, Jasmine, Meadowsweet, Orris root, yarrow, marjoram
Signs of an unbalanced fourth chakra:
- Emotional or mental issues: resentment, jealousy, possessiveness, dependency, emotional insensitivity, despair, sadness, hate, anger, loneliness, hopelessness, feeling of abandonment, inability to forgive ourselves or others, lack of compassion or empathy for others or ourselves
- Physical issues: cardiovascular problems, hypertension, stroke, respiratory ailments, pneumonia, asthma, breast problems, upper-back pain and upper-arm pain, and premature aging
A balanced fourth chakra brings:
- Ability to let go of the past
- An overriding sense of compassion
- A willingness to share and give of ourselves
- Ability to give and receive love
- A sense of joy, hope and inspiration
- Peaceful and harmonious relationship with self and others
Beneficial activities that promote and maintain a balanced Heart Chakra:
- Meditation and visualization: Visualize a glowing green light in the center of your chest while meditating.
- Chant the seed sound “Lam”
- Breathing exercises: Since the heart chakra is associated with air, any breathing exercise works well for opening this chakra.
- Exercises: Any chest opening exercise such as the chest press or chest dips or flies – lying or seated or even standing, and arm circles work well. Yoga poses such as cobra pose, cow pose, bow pose also work.
- Practice appreciation: Write in a gratitude journal, and take time out to count your blessings.
- Random acts of kindness: Perform an act of kindness everyday,
- Stay happy: Consciously try to be in the moment, practice acceptance, smile and compliment people.
- Food: green vegetables such as spinach, kale, and cabbage, green tea, spices such as sage, cilantro, basil, thyme and parsley
- Essential oils: marjoram, neroli, rose
- Wearing the color green: Wearing the color green or stones such as emerald, malachite, jade, and rose quartz.
- Affirmations: Speak out with complete confidence the following affirmations:
- I let go of my past.
- I forgive myself and others who have hurt me.
- I no longer hold resentments and trust the universe is guiding me towards the path of love and happiness.
- I am compassionate and friendly towards myself and others
- I give and receive love in healthy measure
- Just as I give support to others I also accept support when I am in need.
Love, compassion and gratitude are my original nature.