DETOX DETOX DETOX
“It’s a Toxic World”
- The American Cancer Society foresees an annual death rate of one million people if pollution, chemically contaminated foods, and toxic environmental conditions are not eliminated.
- Chemicals remain in the body (stored in our fat cells) altering our metabolism and causing nutritional deficiencies.
- Studies show that a huge percentage of our population today has 400 to 800 chemical residues stored in their fat cells.
- Heavy metals, prescription drugs, pesticides and daily products such as paints and household cleaners contribute to levels of toxins that build up in our bodies.
Results of Toxic Condition
According to his book, “Diet for a New America” John Robbins reports disturbing information concerning the poisoning of our planet. He reports that our environment is being overrun by pesticides. Our bodies have a difficult time processing all of these pesticides and eventually this will destroy our immune systems which are the major cause of disease and chronic health conditions.
Other Conditions That Occur Are:
- Nutritional Deficiency
- Enzyme Depletion
- Breakdown in our metabolic Processes
- Glandular Imbalances
- Skin Brush for you health using a vegetable fiber brush with a long wood handle, slowly dry brush every part of your body before showers.
(See full article in next Healthy Tidbits section)
- Liver Cleanse
Your liver is a very powerful cleansing organ and should be kept as healthy as possible. (See Keep your Liver Healthy in next Healthy Tidbits section)
- Far Infra Sauna promotes incredible detoxing. The Far Infrared sauna is recognized by Health Practitioners as the most effective way of removing both chemical and heavy metal toxins from the body. “The Far Infrared Sauna is the safest, most efficacious and economical way of depurating stored toxins…
Reference:S. Rogers MD author of Tired or Toxic? Total Wellness and Detoxify or Die.
*Click here for more information on Far-Infrared Sauna
- Tongue Brush
There are special tongue scrappers that should be used every am to get the toxins off the tongue from cleansing during sleep.
- EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE
The physical benefits of exercise are very important but many studies are now showing incredible emotional and psychological benefits as well. Dr. Andrew Weil in his newsletter “Self Healing” states that regular exercise can have the following benefits:
- Increase flow of oxygen-rich blood to the brain
- Reduces cortisol levels (a stress hormone)
- Offers distraction from worries
- Boosts self-esteem and confidence
- Feeling more control over your life
- Decrease in mild to moderate depression
- Promotes detoxification
In summary, there are numerous programs that you can use to detoxify for better health. Detoxing is a life-saving process and should be taken very seriously.
Mary Jo Ruggieri PhD, RPP, HHP
Skin Brush for Your Health
Using a vegetable fiber brush with a long wood handle, slowly dry brush every part of your body before showering. A youthful glow will appear.
According to Dr. Linda Berry from Internal Cleansing, the basic principle is to brush from the outermost points of the body (hands and feet) toward the center. Do the upper body toward the heart and the lower body toward the abdomen. Begin with gentle strokes. Use a softer brush for your face. If vegetable brush is too hard at first, put a thin nylon stocking over the the brush and use.
What does skin brushing do?
- Improves your lymphatic system
- Helps remove toxins from the body
- Stimulates the sweat glands
- Increases circulation
- Rejuvenates the skin
- Aids weight loss and loss of cellulite
Reference: Yerba Prima
Vegetable Skin brushes available!
Keep Your Liver Healthy
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily
- Consume good fiber
- Eat fermented foods: miso or sauerkraut with meal
- Take Probiotics & digestive enzymes
- Exercise and use a mini trampoline
- Drink Essiac Tea-best gentle liver cleanse
- Do a liver flush (consult with a holistic health practitioner)
Herbs for a Healthy Liver
- Tumeric-good for inflammation
- Green Tea-aids digestion
- Milk Thistle-great for a healthy liver
- Dandelion-digestive aid
- Blessed Thistle-blood purifier
Reference: Dolores Ballinger, Vol. I, Essential Cleansing
Diets Rich in Omega-3 Oils Prevent Heart Attacks, Reduce Stress and Inflammation.
Omega-3 fatty acids are lipid structures found abundantly in cold water fish and flaxseed oil. According to Jade Beutler RRT, RCP, they have been extensively researched for their ability to treat cardiovascular disease.
Scientific studies also show normalization of blood lipids (fats) in hyperlipidemic problems when using Omega-3. Decreases in harmful LDL cholesterol, increases in good HDL and reductions of triglyceride levels have also been shown in studies of Omega-3’s.
Omega-3 oils get the Academy Award for their performance in prevention of heart attacks and strokes! So, what are you waiting for?
Baking Soda: Miracle in Your Refrigerator, Incredible for Detoxing
Baking soda, contains sodium bicarbonate (high alkaline). Mix it with water and drink it-viola!
Try 1/2 teaspoon first in some water (drink before bed) then go to 1 teaspoon. If you do not feel anything, add more but if some diarrhea occurs, reduce amount.
Many studies have shown that baking soda reduced uric acid crystals which is a major cause of joint pain. Baking soda helps balance and detoxes the intestinal track.
Remember stress increases acid in your body. Acid is the major culprit for joint and muscle pain. “If you are acidic, Detox is a MUST for you”!
Reference: Mary Jo Ruggieri, PhD, RPP
Holistic Health Research
Inflammation? Consider Green Lipped Mussel Oil
Here’s another oil we can add to our health building toolboxes. New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel Oil (an extract of Perna canaliculus) has been studied for its effects on inflammation because it can be harvested to produce a highly concentrated source of omega 3 lipid commercially known as Lyprinol. It has also been studied as a possible support for inflammatory bowel disease and asthma.
For more information:
Osteoarthritis Treatment Study
European Respiratory Studies Journal
Effectiveness of Over-the Counter-Remedies for Arthritis
You may also want to do your own search in PubMed
Heidi Beke-Harrigan MLS, APP
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Stressed Out!
Watch this video on Taking Care, Taking Charge and how to relieve stress through simple stretching.
- “What is Polarity”
Listen to this audio recording of testimonials and info on what is Polarity written by Tabitha Reed and edited by Dr. Mary Jo Ruggieri?
- Chair Polarity for Stress Reduction & Detoxing
Herbal of the Month
Detox for Health
February is a great month for treating our system to a pre-spring cleaning!
For a safe cleansing, start simple. First, substitute the following:
- Honey for sugar
- Herbal green teas for coffee
- Water with lemon for pop
- Whole grains for processed bread
- A little fish for meat
Eat plenty of leafy greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, foods high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Eat small portions of veggies, raw, once a day. Sprinkle with freshly grown sprouts for enzyme power.
After one week, try the following drink, first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach:
- One Tbs. Olive Oil
- Three Tbs. Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A clove of garlic
- The juice of a grapefruit
Mix in a blender. Follow with a glass of water, adding the juice of a full lemon. This is called a Liver Balance.
Eat throughout the day, a light diet of oatmeal, raw green mixed salads, steamed brown rice or millet, fruit and herbal teas. You may add small portions of steamed vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, shitake mushrooms and freshly squeezed vegetable juices.
Drink Polarity Tea for Digestive Balance!
The following week, repeat the Liver Balance two or three days in a row. By now you should be feeling clearer, more focused, lighter and more energetic. If you wish, you can continue for two more weeks, repeating the Liver Balance three to five days in a row, the third week and five to seven days, the forth.
While on this protocol:
- Take Acidophilus and Chlorophyll daily
- Dry brush your tongue and your entire body daily
- Have a Polarity Lymphatic Session once a week
- Take time for Meditation. Cleansing affects the mind as well as the body…brings higher awareness!
When you feel you are done, break your cleanse gently. Slowly introduce dairy, meats and pasta. Your system is clear and may need time getting used to these additions!
Please consult your healthcare practitioner for any questions regarding the above information.
Charoula Dontopoulos, RPP, RPE
The information in this email is for educational purposes only. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat illness or prescribe any type of medication or treatment. For medical needs, we recommend consulting your Medical Doctor, Dietitian or Mental Health Practitioner.