“Wisdom begins at the end.” – Daniel Webster
The seventh chakra, the Crown Chakra, is at the top of the chakra ladder. It is known as the “thousand-petaled lotus”, the symbol of purity and spirituality. This chakra sits like a crown, radiating upwards, hence its name. The crown chakra is our highest energy center and is associated with the state of enlightenment and pure bliss. This chakra represents liberation from the ego, bringing knowledge, understanding, divine wisdom, and spiritual growth. It represents union with the higher self, the cosmos, the Divine. This chakra is the meeting point between the finite (body, and the ego) and the infinite (God, divinity, or the universe). This chakra’s element is thought. Since thought patterns ultimately lead us to our destiny, this chakra is of vital importance.
Crown chakra – highlights
- Sanskrit Name: Sahasrara
- Meaning: Thousandfold
- Location: Top of head
- Color: Violet to white
- Element: Spirit or Thought
- Sense: None i.e. Beyond senses
- Seed sound: Aum or silence
- Physical organs/ association: Pituitary gland, Central nervous system, Cerebral cortex
- Emotional/ Psychological association: Enlightenment, Spirituality, Ability to connect to the higher power, Bliss
- Mineral: Amethyst, Diamond, Clear Quartz
- Herbs for incense: Lotus, Gotu Kola
Signs of an unbalanced seventh chakra:
- Emotional or mental issues: worry, depression, psychosis, insanity, boredom, lack of purpose, loss of meaning, attachment to materialism, weak ethical and moral beliefs, indifference, dementia, epilepsy, and schizophrenia
- Physical issues: cranial and cerebral illnesses; diseases of the musculoskeletal system; skin problems; chronic exhaustion; hypersensitivity to light; sound and environment, autoimmune disorders and neurological disorders.
A balanced seventh chakra brings:
- Fulfillment of one’s true destiny
- Enhanced sense of the spiritual
- Access to the subconscious and the unconscious realms
- Selflessness and humanitarianism
- A sense of bliss
- Connection to a higher self or God.
Beneficial activities that promote and maintain a balanced Crown Chakra:
- Silent Meditation
- Chant the seed sound “Aum”
- Praying and any other spiritual activity.
- Nature: The crown chakra’s element is thought or spirit. Hence, sitting in silence in nature is very beneficial.
- Breathing exercises: “Anulom vilom” or alternate nostril breathing, and “Kapalbhati” or the skull shining breath.
- Exercises: Inverted yoga poses such as “Salamba Sirsasana “ or the headstand and “Adho Mukha Svanasana” or the down dog.
- Food: none (fasting: ingest only water, juices), detoxing
- Essential oils: frankincense, geranium, sandalwood, jasmine, lavender, rose
- Wearing the color violet or white: Wearing the color violet or white or stones such as amethyst, diamond selenite, and sugilite. Surround yourself with violet or white flowers.
- Affirmations: Speak out with complete confidence the following affirmations:
- I am part of the Divine.
- I seek to understand and to learn from my life experiences.
- I seek experiences that nourish my spirit.
- I listen to the wisdom of universe.
- I let go of my attachments.
- I live in the present moment.
- I am grateful for all the goodness in my life.
- I love and accept myself.
- I am at peace.
- I am.