Bacopa Monieri—its full name—is a plant that comes to us from India.
Bacopa is used in the treatment of:
- Memory loss
- Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety
- ADD, ADHD
- Learning disability
- Mental illness
It is also known to help with:
- insomnia/asthma/bronchitis, even ulcers and irritable boweI (I suspect due to stress, hypertension, and some other symptoms included above.)
In Ayurvedic medicine, Bacopa is considered to be an herb that benefits the mind and spirit, and has long been used to calm restlessness (in children, but also in adults.)
- It is a nourishing brain and nerve tonic.
Bacopa enhances the production and function of specific neurotransmitters, such as Dopamine and Serotonin. Neurotransmitters are brain chemicals that help brain neurons communicate with each other:
- Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps control the brain’s reward and pleasure Dopamine keeps us alert, excited, motivated. It helps us sustain attention, focus, and memory.
- Low Dopamine levels can lead to lack of motivation, fatigue, addictive behavior, mood swings, and, specifically, memory loss.
- Serotonin, on the other hand, calms us down, helps us rest, sleep.
- Low Serotonin levels can lead to restlessness and agitation.
All in all, Bacopa is a very important herb when it comes to Memory. For best results, it can be used in combination with Gingko, and Gotu Kola.
Also, there is one more botanical that goes by the name of Brahmi—and though it is often considered an alternative name for Gotu Kola, it is also true that it is a different but closely related plant of its own merits. At any rate, all of these plants combined add power to one another, and constitute an excellent alternative to chemical drugs.
As with most botanicals nowadays, one can use Bacopa as a standardized pill, an herbal tea, or a tincture (an herbal preparation based on alcohol).
I personally use Bacopa, always combined with Gingko and Gotu Cola, mostly in the form of tincture.
We will be discussing tincturing in one of our future columns, but basically a tincture is an herbal distillation of one or more herbs in a varying amount of alcohol (like Vodka) for a certain period of time, from two weeks to 2-3 months.
I find that to be the strongest and most effective extraction of an herb’s chemical properties.This tincture (called, by the way, Memory!), is available on our Website.I welcome any and all questions, or comments, and look forward to hear from you all!
For questions please email me at:
Holistic Health Advisor
BC Polarity Therapy Practitioner