Deb Wellmes, MA, ND
What is Vibroacoustic Therapy? A dissection of the word offers clues: VIBRO = vibration + ACOUSTIC = sound. More specifically, this treatment modality converts very low frequency sound waves into vibration. The concept is Ancient, but technology has made it more accessible to everyone.
During a typical session an individual lays or sits with their back against a device that produces sound vibrations. The contact between the device and body impact the body in various ways:
- The vibrations stimulate nerve bundles along the spine and send messages to the muscles, the organs and the brain.
- These messages help the body and mind relax.
- These messages also reduce the perception of pain .
- This creates an environment that facilitates a relaxation response and enhances the oxygenation of the body.
The following schematic demonstrates what Vibroacoustic Therapy looks like:
This schematic shows components of Vibroacoustic Therapy:
- The massage table with a water bladder (this is a Tranquility Liquid Sound Table from InnerSoulutions)
- Special speakers (transducers) that convert the frequencies into vibration
- An amplifier
- A sound source (It should be noted that specific tone frequencies can be used during a session to create specialized resonant responses)
Vibroacoustic Therapy has been widely studied in Europe, with a few research studies in the United States. The largest study in the US has been an ongoing study by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) into the impact of Vibroacoustic Therapy on pain and associated symptoms. The NIH study alone has demonstrated very positive results. In fact, the results were so positive that the facility has continued to use Vibroacoustic input since the end of the study.
Clinical studies have shown Vibroacoustic Therapy to be effective for:
|ADD/ADHD||Muscle Cramps||Sleep Enhancement|
|Anxiety||Muscle Tone||Stress Reduction|
|Blood Pressure||Pain Management||Stress Resiliency|
|Cerebral Palsy||Range of Motion|
|Lymphatic Flow||Rett syndrome|
At Waves of Harmony, Vibroacoustic Therapy sessions are offered in a sensory enhanced environment, in order to amplify the experience. All sessions are customized to meet an individual’s personal needs. For some, the Vibroacoustic session is paired with guided meditations to focus on aspects of well-being.
Contact Deb at: